‘Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.’ – Coco Chanel.
Clothing is the fourth largest industry in the world. It employs a sixth of the world’s population. Although 80% of the world’s clothing is sourced from the developing world, ethical fashion accounts for only 1% of the global fashion market. Is it time for us to clean-up our wardrobes? We think it is.
We are fortunate that within that 1% there are many talented people designing beautiful clothes, and giving us the option of buying fashion we love and fashion that has a whole lot of love in it.
Fair Trade Clothing means:
- Not made with child labour or in a sweatshop
- There is an emphasis on not damaging the environment
- Workers are paid a living-wage and are treated well
- Projects that benefit the community are supported
- There is a movement away from poverty to sustainable & healthy living conditions
- Working towards a fairer world